Friday 16 August 2013

POWELL APOLOGISES AFTER ELLINGTON'S SLATING

Trackspeed1 UK coach John Powell has issued a public apology to James Ellington for holding him back in his sprinting career.  The 27-year-old told the world's media he had not realised he had been subjected to a "young programme" which was "clearly not world class" during his world championship interview with the BBC.

"I can only apologise to James for holding him back," said Powell, " and I must also apologise to the dozens of other internationals who have developed with Trackspeed1 that I did not push them on to coaches possessing magic wands in the past.

"I am devastated that an athlete who I have supported through thick and thin, and probably saved his career on at least 2 occasions, believes that he has been subjected to an inferior training programme.

"To all those athletes who feel they have been held back, I unreservedly apologise.  To the coaches who have 'rescued' athletes from my squad in the past - I now see you were absolutely right.  What more can I say - you are clearly far superior to me.

"I am away on holiday visiting family in the Far East right now and have only heard about James's feelings being aired through numerous messages prompted by his comments.  What can I say - I am truly gutted."

No comments:

Post a Comment