Wednesday 8 August 2012

HEADS HELD HIGH

There is absolutely no reason on earth why James Ellington should not be standing tall this morning, despite the devastatingly disappointing outcome of Tuesday's Olympic Games 200 metres heat.

The notion that he has let people down, which I know he has felt over the past 48 hours, is as bizarre as it is an understandable reaction.  The truth, however, is that he has made a great many people associated with him burst with pride at his Herculean achievements this year - me more than any!

Reason's for a performance that comes nowhere near exemplifying his immense talent and skill may or may not come out in the wash in weeks to come.  What must triumph over this latest hammer blow of adversity is an athlete ready to fight again - fitter, faster, and ready to take on the world.

Sport can be the cruelest medium, and it is harder the higher you aim.  The highs become life events, the lows almost unbearable pain.  But under all of this comes that character building that makes real men like James Ellington.

James has not had it easy over the years, but some would say that overcoming challenges builds character, resolve, determination.  I agree, but it isn't every athlete who has overcome potentialy career-terminating injuries, virtually no financial support (until the last few months), and the worries of having to try to support a young family, at the same time as vying with the best srinters in the world.

My pain on Tuesday was not so much watching James' big day crumble in the space of 21 seconds - it was made far worse with him afterwards, seeing the impact of a dream shattered in the cruelest way possible.

This year - despite everything - James has again confirmed himself as one of the fastest sprinters in the UK, taken his first ever British 200m title, and qualified for a home Olympic Games in London.  It will be a story he will doubtless relate to his grand children.
James qualifies for the London 2012 Olympic Games
I know, because on a vrtual daily basis, I have seen, the blood, sweat and toil James has put in to his athletics that has got him to where he is today.  Sadly, the doubters and the pathetic commentaries on social networking sites are all part of what goes with the territory. 

I am so pleased these individuals have siezed the opportunity to exhibit just how bereft they are of any grain of intelligence, and for providing James with another opportunity to stand tall and raise his head above such pathetic tittle tattle.

James, I speak on behalf of everyone I know that is or has been associated with you.  You have made them - me - so, so proud.  I say this not to make you feel better, but because it happens to be true.  You are a world class sportsman with a character stronger than anyone I know.

You have also provided me with experience as a coach that may never have come, and you have provided me with an association with an individual I hope will be continue for many many years to come.

You continue to provide me with an opportunity - an opportunity to help show the world just how big a man James Ellington is, and see him back onto the world stage over the next few years as a force to be reckoned with - which you are and, God willing, will continue to be!

JOHN POWELL
Coach to James Ellington
1999-2006 / 2008-2012

1 comment:

  1. I second all of the above. James as I said in my text to you, we are all really proud of you, your achievements, you have done amazing job, your the British Champion, you should hold your head up high. The fact your feeling so low is a testiment to your determination and focus, YOU ARE GOING TO COME BACK QUICKER NEXT YEAR. We are all here for you and will continue to be.

    Tim Allardyce
    Proud to be James' Physio 2008-

    ReplyDelete